There’s one problem at work we can all relate to: continuous interruptions derail productivity. This is true no matter if you’re working remotely or in the office. Thankfully, there’s one universal action you can take to minimize these distractions. Create clear boundaries, both physical and mental, to protect your focus.
Here are a few “easy-to-implement” examples:
• Schedule clear start and stop times in your calendar for work. Stick to it!
• Use headphones to play white noise or music, if it doesn’t distract you, to block out distracting noises.
• Develop a “closed door, open calendar” policy for your team.
• Set clear expectations on when people can expect a response from you, whether it’s an email, phone call, or messaging app.
• Schedule daily short breaks to do something fun, like playing a game on your phone or chatting in the break room.
These are just a few ideas. The goal is to customize a system that works for YOU and commit to it.
What’s one boundary you have in place at work?